“TM allows you to be more of who you naturally are.” – David Lynch (Filmmaker, painter, musician, actor and founder of the David Lynch Foundation)
Transcendental Meditation (TM) is a mental technique that has been scientifically shown to increase resilience, energy, clarity and confidence. The combination of the unique state of deep rest gained by the body and the mind through TM dissolves stress and fatigue. Research has shown this unique state of rest is in some respects deeper even than the rest gained during deep sleep. Over 400 peer-reviewed scientific research studies have verified that the regular experience of transcending through the twice daily practice of TM, with the profound relaxation gained by the physiology, brings benefits for mind, body, relationships and ultimately society.
- Reduce stress & anxiety
- Improve academic performance
- Improve relationships
- Improve sleep, health & well-being
- Increase focus & creativity
- Build confidence & self esteem
- Increase happiness & inner peace
- Find meaning and purpose in life
8 key ways TM can help young people:
- Improved cognitive performance – Young people practising TM find it easier to assimilate and recall information and have greater mental energy and stamina, thanks to improved brain functioning.
- Academic stress goes down – Students doing TM report lower levels of anxiety and depression and have fewer physical symptoms of stress during exams. One study showed an average of 48% less depression compared to the non-meditating control group.
- Improved academic achievement – Many studies indicate that students doing TM can out-perform their non-meditating fellow students, achieving higher grades.
- Better focus – Thanks to their minds being calmer, young people doing TM report a 50% reduction in stress, anxiety, and ADHD symptoms. This in turn triggers a positive chain reaction leading to an improved ability to focus better on tasks at hand.
- Brain integrity & efficiency – Not only does practising TM make the brain more alert, it also helps it to function more coherently and holistically: university students who took up TM were found to have changes in the brain area related to regulating emotions and behaviour.
- Reduction in destructive addiction (drugs, alcohol) – Removing the root cause of potentially addictive behaviour is a major key to living a successful and fulfilling life. Studies looking at both students and adults find that daily Transcendental Meditation practice significantly reduces both substance abuse problems and antisocial behaviour. In many cases, TM has been shown to be two or three times more effective than traditional drug prevention and education programmes.
- Lower risk of cardiovascular diseases – Stay healthy! TM helps to reduce blood pressure. As one study showed, university students prone to hypertension witnessed a major reduction in blood pressure after just a few months of meditating. These changes were associated with a 52% lower risk of developing hypertension later in their life.
- Happier, more confident – Perhaps most important of all, research shows that young people doing TM daily score higher in self-esteem and emotional competence!
What does it involve?
Transcendental Meditation is easy to fit in – it is practised for 20 minutes twice a day, sitting with the eyes closed. It is easy and effective. No philosophy is involved, no behavioural changes are required and it is learned over just 4 sessions of about 2 hours each.
Following initial instruction from a certified teacher, you will be self-sufficient in the practice, enabling you to strengthen your own health and well-being from the first day of learning. You will also get free the TM Community app, a handy pocket companion for your TM, providing a wealth of useful videos and tips and the means to connect with other TM meditators. And wherever you are, here or abroad, you can always check in with your local TM teacher (there are 86 locations around the UK alone!).
Limited time scholarship offer
Currently there is a limited time scholarship offer that reduces the standard student course fee of £295 to just £100. You must be aged 18 – 25 and either in full/part-time education in the UK, OR enrolled in a training/ apprenticeship scheme. Applies only in Participating Centres.
Select your nearest Participating Centre to take advantage of this offer: Altrincham, Arundel, Birmingham, Bolton, Bournemouth, Brighton, Bristol, Chelmsford, Colchester, Dundee, Durham, Exeter, Glasgow, Guildford, Ipswich, Leeds, Liverpool, London – Central, London – Hackney, London – Harrow, London – Northolt, Manchester, North Sussex – Forest Row, North Wales – Anglesey, Nottingham, Oxford, Salisbury, South Essex, Southport, Stratford Upon Avon, Twickenham